Saturday 17 January 2015

One Stencil To Rule Them All

Some one on the forum asked 
"What are you favorite go-to stencils? What are your least favorite?If you could only use one stencil, what would it be?"
I'll start with my least favorite the BAM 1042 Hearts


I can't make this look good. The design is made to fit the maximum amount of hearts on it, and therefore they are all over the place, and no mater how you turn it, many will be upside-down. That drives me nuts, and i don't think they look good upside down (ever notice how an upside-down heart kinda looks like scrotu-) Any Way! I really don't like this one.
Favorite stencil aesthetically would have to be the BAM 1035 Swirly.

I find the pattern works for many many things from princess's to butterflies, to just adding 'pretty' filler to dead area's quickly. Unlike some other of the pretty filler stencils this one doesn't have a lot of area's where the stencil get's caught and lifts up and bends in the pattern. So that's good too.

For boys the BAM 1004 reptile is my most used. 

Works for monsters, dragons, snakes, pretty much any reptile. Recommend it over the Large Scale BAM stencil for sure. I can even use it for a bit of filler for mermaids!

But given all their perks, I can still do that scaly look and that pretty pretty filler, free hand rather quickly. The stencil just makes it faster, and more crisp.

The stencils I would REALLY have trouble parting from are the 1039 Stars and the 1036 Snowflakes.


OMG I love these guys. Before Disney's 'Frozen' that snow flake stencil rarely got used. Now my partner and I are fighting over it lol. It's the only one I have 2 of because it's gets used THAT much. Sure I can paint snow flakes, but this makes everything stupid fast and easy.

I HATE painting stars, they are never even, they are always crooked, or you can see brush strokes, or SOMETHING. But with this stencil they are PERFECT every time. I LOVE this stencil, and it's the only one I can truly say I can't replicate and have the result be something I think is good. What can I say, I love having perfect little stars. I freaking love this stencil for that.
"Yes. I just made the image just now for this post. 
That's how much I'm obsessed with having perfect stars."

But even after ALL that, if you sat me down and said I could only have ONE stencil in my kit.......

I'd go with the snow flakes. Because of this
"Frozen man...... it's just too popular."

I'm no longer a face painter, my sole job is to foster little girls requests for 'Elsa', 'Snow Queen', 'Frozen', and 'Let it Go', (not kidding i've have 3 kids ask for 'Let it Go' when wanting to be a snow queen) while trying to retain my sanity by coming up with a million variations on this theme.

If it wasn't for that movie being so popular, I would pick the star stencil. But since that's not the world we currently live in, that Snowflake stencil has saved my butt!

Everyone pledge fealty to your new ruler.
"Does this mean the white walkers won?"

No comments:

Post a Comment